Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Inspired by Charlie's Story: Intern sets his sights on Silver Creek

Every summer The Nature Conservancy hosts interns from around the country to help us run Silver Creek and Flat Ranch Preserves. Like Veronika Horton, Ham Wallace is also interning at Silver Creek.  In this Q&A he shares his experience:


Ham night fishing. Photo courtesy Ham Wallace.
What school did you attend, when did you graduate and what was your major? 
I am entering my sophomore year at Colorado College, and am planning to major in Biology.

Where are you from?
Nashville, Tennessee

How did you become an intern for TNC/Silver Creek?
Colorado College sponsors an intern to work for Silver Creek Preserve each summer in honor of Charlie Blumenstein, a 1996 alum who passed away in May 2003. Charlie spent much time on Silver Creek and had a truly special connection with the place. I stopped and read the description for the internship after class one day. After doing a little more research on the internship and Silver Creek, I decided to apply.

Photo courtesy of Ham Wallace.
Why did you decide to become an intern for TNC/Silver Creek?
After reading about Charlie and the story behind the internship, I knew it would not feel right if I did not apply. Thankfully, I was accepted and given this incredible opportunity, and it has far exceeded all expectations. On a further note, I love the outdoors, and have been interested in conservation for a long time.

What was your first impression of Picabo/Silver Creek when you arrived?
I was excited to be living in such a beautiful place.

What is a typical day like for an intern at Silver Creek?
Specific tasks vary greatly from day to day, and almost all of them involve being outdoors, apart from working in the visitor center and in the office. As of late, the extreme heat and lack of rain has meant taking special care of recent plantings around the property.

What are your favorite and least favorite things about interning at Silver Creek?
Well, I love working here, and there is nowhere else I’d rather be for the summer. My favorite part about interning has been the amount I have learned. I also have great coworkers.

What kinds of animals have you seen?
All kinds on the preserve–Moose, Deer, Beaver, Muskrat, Snakes, and more birds than I can handle. Off the preserve I have seen Coyote, Elk, Marten, Antelope, Pika...

Do you fish?
Yes

How long have you been an intern?
I started on May 25, 2012.

No comments: